Sunday, May 10, 2020

201. Single Cut Beersmiths (Queens, NY) - Jån Alpine White Lager

“The olfactory is working overtime, noting the distinct sweet citrus, delicate flowery herbal and complex citrus spice aromas and flavors of this lager. Smooth soft light malt, finishes very dry and clean with an orange zest bitterness. Perhaps our ultimate patio brew.”

Yeah, I didn’t know what I was getting into with this one. At Stoney’s, you step up to the door and tell someone standing behind a card table what you want to buy. You can’t go in anymore because fuck Eric Holcomb. Just inside the door, to the right, is a stack of cases of 16-ounce four-packs on sale for $4.99. Sometimes you can tell what they are, sometimes you can’t. Sometimes they are a mixed bag. I got a couple the last time I was there, and one of them turned out to be this Alpine white lager. It’s not bad, it’s just not really my thing. It’s got a light, peppery-coriander thing going on, and a nice orangey finish. This might be just the thing on a hot, sunny day after I mow the lawn; but today is not that day.

No comments: