Wednesday, November 02, 2022

495. Black Circle Brewing Co. (Indianapolis, IN) - The Stranger

“Sweet, vanilla, herbal, silky.”

Also noted as a “sasparilla porter” on the website. Amy and I stopped by the Black Circle artisan market this past Sunday by sheer dumb luck. We had a little bit of time to kill before we picked up Jackson from choir practice at Butler, we had stopped at the Meijer at 56th and Keystone for some groceries, and we had just turned down Erie Street for 49th Street when I saw the tent awnings set up in Beer Creek. It turned out to be auspicious on multiple levels: Amy found a hippie-ish dress she could wear to school for Halloween; I talked to one of the head honchos at Black Circle and found out that their former head brewer, who used to work at the theatre, is now working at Amelia’s in Fletcher Place and is doing well; and I got to try a beer that is apparently a collaboration between the former brewer and the new brewer. This is another one that tastes to me like it lands somewhere between a brown ale and a porter: dark color, light mouthfeel, and just a hint of sasparilla flavor. Didn’t bowl me over in any way, but it wasn’t bad.

No comments: