Tuesday, March 09, 2021

355. 18th Street Brewery (Hammond, IN) - Churrolicious

“Churrolicious is a Sun King/18th Street collaboration Pastry Stout made with actual churros in celebration of the inaugural Indiana Statewide Stout day.”

And so my inside source at Sun King says that these kinds of things are generally 50/50 and that the collab distinction is something like a marketing ploy. (Actually, he didn’t say that. I made it up. You don’t know who I am, and you don’t know who he is, either. We never spoke.) It is clear upon sipping this bad boy that I have not consumed many churros in my life. I suspect it’s possible I have had more pastry stouts than churros, so I probably shouldn’t even be talking about this. But I just discovered what a great album Led Zeppelin’s Presence is, so I’m sort of in that place where I feel like I’m at least marginally qualified to talk about anything. (And even though am not be an expert, I feel pretty confident that I am smarter than the average bear when it comes to both beer and Led Zeppelin.) Motor oil you should have changed six months ago isn’t as dark as this shit. There’s a nice roasty flavor to balance the sweetness, along with the faint taste of graham crackers—and as it warms up, I get sort of a hint of root beer. (That can’t possibly be right, can it?) Overall, it’s a little bit heavy for me, both in terms of flavor and strength (8.0%), but I’m glad I got the chance to try it.

No comments: