Monday, March 01, 2021

354. 18th Street Brewery (Hammond, IN) - Best Patio Pils

“Take a step outside onto the patio and take a breath of fresh air. Then crack open this Pilsner Style Lager because the best day deserves the best beer.”

You will not be surprised to discover that I do not spend a lot of time with pilsners. I’ll buy a case of Miller Lite in a pinch, if I happen to be at a liquor store outside the beltway and they don’t have PBR; but that’s about it. However, I have been enjoying the offerings from 18th Street since Amy and I tried it for lunch back in November, and this is one of the styles you can sometimes get in their case deal. I tried a four-pack with my most recent case deal, and they aren’t half bad. There’s a sort of floral/citrus flavor up front and a dry, hoppy finish; and could that maybe be fresh-cut grass in there, too? I generally don’t think of pilsners as nearly this complex, but this was a pleasant surprise—and it’s a nice low-ABV (4.9%) option from 18th Street, where even the session IPAs crest around 6%.

No comments: