Monday, August 13, 2007

It's Action - Reaction - Random Interaction

The world is not just small - it feels to me like it is also shrinking, collapsing in on itself like some bad Star Trek plot gone horribly, horribly awry. I go over to Lazy Daze this afternoon, on my way to drop some paper into the recycling bin in the library parking lot. While I am waiting on my coffee drinks, the owner, Jeff, comes in. We say hey to each other, as I go in there often enough that he has recognized me as one of the regulars - though I have not been around nearly as much since Jackson was born, I’m sorry to say (but I still haven’t set foot in that new Starbucks, so that’s something). He heads back out a few minutes later, then stops and looks at me and says that he saw my blog, thought it was pretty cool.

Well, right on. Don’t recall ever mentioning my blog to him, so he must have come across it in some other way. Okay. Now, do I think to ask him before he leaves how he managed to find me out there among the gazillions of bloggers in the world? No. That would have been too simple.

But then a woman sitting at a table and working on her laptop asked me what blog I had. Because I have this suspicion that I am not nearly as interesting as I would like to believe I am, I hemmed and hawed and said that it was nothing much, just a blog, yadda yadda yadda. She asked if I was someone called Jason, of the Four Square 266 blog. I said that I was not, though that rang some kind of bell in my head. She, in turn, mentioned that she has a blog called Hover, Don’t Sit, which did not ring any bells.

Got my coffee drinks, went home, dragged my computer downstairs because it’s way to hot up in the attic to be sitting at a computer up there - fired up the Internet, and googled “hover don’t sit.” Found that blog, and the Four Square one. Started reading the Four Square one first, got about five posts down and discovered that this guy had been invited to contribute to Colts Fan Blog by none other than Shane - who has also invited me to contribute to Colts Fan Blog, though I have not done so yet.

Now that is random - and almost certainly not the kind of thing that would ever happen at Starbucks.

1 comment:

Shane M. White said...

WOW!

What a small world.

When I started reading your blog, I recognized the blog name right away, and was ready to comment on who it was - and then your Sherlock Holmes-self figured it out already!

Too funny. This "blog thing" it's taking off...