Friday, August 24, 2007

I Traded Jackson For Some Deep-Fried Pepsi



Okay, I didn't really trade him for deep-fried Pepsi - but how many of you looked at that picture and thought for one second, "Gad, he's finally gone all the way off the deep end!" Hmm? Anyway, that really is deep-fried Pepsi from the State Fair. I sauntered up to the deep-fried booth for the first time and tried some deep-fried Pepsi. None of that other deep-fried garbage had ever appealed to me, and this didn't exactly appeal to me...but it was vaguely interesting in a way that a deep-fried Twinkie could never be.

Unfortunately, it sucked. In case you somehow did not hear about this latest State Fair abomination, it goes like this. They mix up what is basically doughnut batter, except that intsead of water they use Pepsi. I could barely taste the Pepsi, though. If you didn't know it was made with Pepsi, there's no way it would ever have occurred to you. Also, for something made with Pepsi, it was surprisingly dense.

We went to the fair last Saturday, during one of the few almost-normal days in this muderously hot August. I was afraid we were going to miss it because of little Snarky and because of the heat. But we made it. It wasn't quite as much fun as it has been in the past, maybe because of carting a baby around, but maybe not. Maybe next year won't be as warm and we can go during the week when there are less people around.

2 comments:

Shane M. White said...

Yeah, I too was pretty disappointed in the Deep Fried Pepsi. I am someone who almost all of the deep fried foods appeal to me - and I am disappointed the the Twinkies haven't been around the past two years.

The Pepsi Balls were just too doughy and made it seem like I was chewing gum for a while. And you're right - there was NO Pepsi flavor. It was just like SUGAR!

Glad you made it to the fair, I know I had a good time when I went.

Justin said...

Watch out Jon, soon theyll be deep frying KIDS!!!