Friday, August 28, 2020

279. El Segundo Brewing Company (El Segundo, CA) - Steve Austin’s Broken Skull IPA

“A bad-ass 6.7% IPA designed by Steve Austin and El Segundo Brewing Company for the working man & woman. It features Citra, Cascade and Chinook hops to deliver big flavor with an easy finish.”

El Segundo wasn’t shipping here when I heard about this one (I don’t remember how long ago, somewhere on the interwebs), and I didn’t even know they had started shipping here since then. I just happened to see it at Stoney’s today and had to try it (even though at $14.99 for six tallboys it’s at the upper end of what I feel comfortable paying for craft beer). It has a much lighter touch than I expected for a beer bearing Stone Cold Steve Austin’s name, and is also surprisingly complex (for the same reason). The flavors are light but pronounced, with strong grapefruit and pine in the first sip from the Chinook and Cascade, and then more mellow tropical notes from the Citra as it warms up. The finish is pretty smooth, too.

No comments: