Monday, August 24, 2020

276. Clown Shoes Beer (Boston, MA) - Rainbows Are Real

“From mythic hammer-wielding beasts to intergalactic agriculturists, here at Clown Shoes we think about some crazy stuff. But even we can barely comprehend the natural wonder of a big, beautiful rainbow. We will forever remain in awe of those massive swaths of vibrant color that stretch forever into the horizon. This Hazy IPA contains the terpenes Beta-Pinene and Linalool, aromatic compounds derived from natural botanical sources. They supplement the sweet malt backbone and lively blend of Azacca, Citra and Mosaic hops that make Rainbows Are Real shine with fresh, juicy notes of sweet citrus.”

I’m no stranger to the three hops listed in the description, but I come across terpenes much less often; and I don’t know exactly what they contribute to a beer, but there is something going on here that I have never encountered before—a piney flavor that is bright and fresh, and almost a little soapy. (And it also sort of makes me think that maybe the more run-of-the-mill piney flavor I’ve tasted in other beers is what brewers mean when they used the word dank.) This is my first beer from Massachusetts, which becomes the 22nd state in my odyssey of beer sampling.

No comments: