Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Answer Is Blowin' In The Wind...

Got an e-mail from Ana with an attached e-mail asking recipients to sign an online petition supporting U.S. PIRG, the federation of state Public Interest Research Groups, in its efforts to convince Congress, MoveOn-style, to endorse the organization's New Energy Future plan. So I signed up, which was a no-brainer, of course - and then I started poking around to see if this U.S. PIRG group was as far to the left as they seemed.

Just for fun, I Googled the search string ["U.S. PIRG" AND "far left"] - there were only 216 hits. (Oddly, Googling the same search string, but substituting right for left actually yields 307 hits.) I was sort of hoping for more. One of them was to a page on Democratic Underground that shows a list of retorts to those who accuse Senator Hillary Clinton of being too conservative. She is, of course, not too conservative - she happens to work and play well with others, which, admittedly, most people no longer recognize, since King George II, Darth Cheney, and the rest of their ilk have been goose-stepping their followers around since 2001 and playing my-way-or-the-highway politics.

Another of the hits goes to a blog on Think Progress that features a number of items related to the environment, including one, linked here, where an idiot at Fox News (as though the term idiot actually distinguishes any one person from any other person at Fox News) suggests that the movie Happy Feet is actually propagandizing the loony left's environmental agenda to impressionable children - as though, perhaps, any of the children watching Happy Feet are all that wrapped up in the environment at that age. While at the Think Progress web site, I signed up for their daily newsletter.

An older article, from MediaWatch, notes that PIRGs were created in the 1970s with funds from Ralph Nader's personal income. Even better. Not only are PIRGs out there looking out for people who can't be bothered to look out for themselves, but they were started up because of Ralph Nader - a writer and political thinker and former candidate for President whom I admire very much, and voted for in 2004.

I would encourage everyone to sign the petition, and to do whatever you can to reduce, reuse, and recycle - and to explore alternative energy sources. The sun and the wind provide enough energy to reduce to obsolescence every single company or group that currently provides energy in this country. That's a paradigm shift I won't live long enough to see - but my child, perhaps, might be around for it.

If anyone goes to the U.S. PIRG site and signs the petition, or passes this information along to someone as the result of having read this post, I would love to have you post a comment to let me know. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Thanks for signing it!! I have to admit I usually don't have time to pay much attention to the mass emails I get from them but recently I have just decided that it is too important and time has to be made to become informed and try to do something!