Sunday, May 14, 2023

538. Schlafly Beer (St. Louis, MO) - Hazy Punch IPA

“Hazy Punch IPA features a blend of Citra, Eclipse and Mosaic hops that lend a juiciness to this hazy that only gets amplified with additions of cara cara orange and pineapple. The fruit alongside the hops come together for a juicy combination that puts this hazy over the top. You may find yourself wondering if someone poured a beer in the punchbowl or did we pour some juicy punch in our beer?”

Super fruity, with a good amount of stone fruit to go with the citrus and pineapple. In fact, that stone fruit becomes even more pronounced as it warms up. I get nothing of the traditionally “hoppy” balance that should come with Mosaic hops. That’s not necessarily bad…but I’m not sure it’s a recommendation, either. I kinda know that I’m picking at nits here…this is a fine beer, but I think it could have been better. (Or maybe I just wish they hadn’t teased the Mosaic hops when the beer doesn’t deliver.)

No comments: