Sunday, July 31, 2022

467. Sun King (Indianapolis, IN) - Caramel Corn

“Ale made with Caramel corn.”

The above is the official copy on the Sun King website, but the copy on the State Fair website is much more informative: “You know the say [sic], there’s more than corn in Indiana? Well, sometimes it is all about the corn in Indiana! Sun King + Indiana State Fair Beer have partnered again for a new 2022 Indiana State Fair beer. This year’s beer is Caramel Corn. There are 100 lbs of Just Pop In Caramel Popcorn in the batch! Fun fact - kernels hail from a local popcorn farmer. You will be able to get your hands on Caramel Corn beer during the 2022 Indiana State Fair and a limited amount will be available on draft at Sun King tap room locations and at Just Pop In!”

The beer is better than the writing, though that is obviously not a high bar to clear. I have not tried the caramel corn at Just Pop In!, but this beer might be what finally gets me through the doors. It tastes the way caramel popcorn smells, with just a hint of sweetness. The taste reminded me of the smell of the Karmelcorn store in the Washington Square Mall whenever I would have occasion to walk by it. I don’t think I ever bought caramel corn there, but I must have walked past it at least a hundred times in my life. The nostalgia dump in my brain from the first sip of this beer was intense, and that by itself would be enough to recommend it; but it’s also a nicely balanced ale. I would love to have more of them; but as is so often the case with Sun King’s most interesting beers, they are not available in packaged form.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO SO SO jealus of this one!
I went to the fair yesterday - and it was SOLD OUT everywhere!
I feel stupid, and annoyed with myself for waiting until the last weekend - that was foolish on my part. I won't make that mistake next year! I really enjoyed the Funnel Cake beer last year, and your review sounds like I would have liked this one.

ALMOST 500!!!!!!
BRO! You're moving at great speed!