Monday, February 08, 2021

345. Books & Brews (Indianapolis, IN) - Clifford

“Clifford is a strong, roasty, and satisfying full-bodied Irish Red Ale. It’s [sic] big body and red hue make for the perfect malt bomb. It’s [sic] flavor may be mild, but the high ABV [7.4%] puts the fight back into the dog.”

Yesterday, Amy and I went out and about and contributed a great deal of money to the local economy. (Well, sort of local, I guess. We were shopping in Greenwood, so the taxes go to Johnson County, and not Marion County.) We were about to head home when she decided to make a u-turn and stop at Fresh Thyme to see if they had any Wildish Tea. I perused the beer selection while she (successfully, in case you’re into that kind of thing too, and haven’t been able to find it) hunted, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a Books & Brews beer that wasn’t Nancy, which so far is the only one of their offerings that I have seen in cans (as opposed to really expensive bombers). I’m not big on red ales, but I was intrigued by the 7.4% ABV (and the $10.99 price tag for a six-pack); and it does not disappoint. It has a sort of caramelized flavor that might have been cloying if they had opted for a lower ABV, but the strength of the alcohol provides an impressive balance. It ain’t no secret that I prefer hop bombs to malt bombs, but this one is kind of bad-ass.

No comments: