Friday, April 09, 2010

Some Rush News

So I’m sitting there at work today, and Ryan is looking at something on the computer and he asks me if I have heard that Rush is taking Moving Pictures on the road this summer; and I say no, I hadn’t heard that, what’s it about? He directed me to a posting on the AV Club website that says that Rush, “[f]ollowing the trend of grizzled classic rockers performing their most successful opuses in their entirety on tour,” will in fact be touring this summer and performing the entire Moving Pictures album as part of the set list.

I reckon that’s pretty cool, but it’s a far cry - heh, get it? - from seeing Pink Floyd do all of Dark Side or The Wall, or even from seeing Rush themselves play “2112” (which they have already done). Moving Pictures isn’t a concept album in the same sense as those two Floyd records or that one Rush song, although it would be pretty cool to hear “The Camera Eye” live - if Geddy can pull off the high notes. Also, it’s only seven songs, and four of them - “Tom Sawyer,” “Red Barchetta,” “YYZ,” and “Limelight” aren’t exactly strangers to the band’s set list. Unfortunately, the tour dates on the Rush website don’t include Indianapolis (yet).

According to that post, they’re also going to play some songs from the studio album that they’re working on; and that sent me over to their website, where I found out that a new documentary about the band is going to premiere (though not in competition) at the Tribeca Film Festival, later this month. That’s cooler than both a Moving Picutres tour and the prospect of a new studio album. Even cooler than that would be if a distributor picks it up at Tribeca and books some playdates for it. That could be a long time coming, though. Hopefully it will at least get some attention at Tribeca and start to make the rounds at other festivals.

2 comments:

Godfather Weilhammer said...

Ironically, the Waters websites I check out say Roger may be doing a tour featuring the complete Wall. Granted, it wouldn't be Floyd, but still, I'd have to see that. Hell, I'd go see Rush again.

John Peddie said...

And I'd go to a Roger Waters show of The Wall. I think.