Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Free Bumper Sticker - Warning! Applying Sticker To Car May Cause Car To Lean Left

I got on the MoveOn.org mailing list a few years back when I made a donation to them as a wedding present for my uncle, who had requested that donations be made to one of three organizations in lieu of folks bringing gifts. The three organizations were MoveOn.org, Doctors Without Borders, and The Harlem Children's Zone. That's neither here nor there, of course - just adds a bit of color. Anyway...today - on arriving home from our first Expectant Parents class and checking my e-mail for the first time all day - I found a message waiting, from MoveOn, to do with a free bumper sticker.

I used to not be a bumper sticker kind of guy, until I started to realize how under-represented free-thinking liberals are in the state of Indiana. I slapped an "End War Vote Peace" sticker on the back of my car in 2004 to support Ralph Nader for President, and I replaced that sticker this fall with one urging people to vote for John Barnes for State Representative. Amy and I don't quite see eye to eye on the more acerbic stickers, so those don't make it onto my car - Buck Fush, Eff The FCC, Impeach W, that kind of thing - but the less controversial ones sometimes find their way back there.

Anyway, the sticker is black lettering on a white background, and it says "Endless War" - one word on top of the other. In addition, the LESS part of Endless has been crossed out in orange and replaced with the word "This," to create the image of "End This War." The idea is to support Congressional efforts to stall President Bush's proposed escalation of the war in Vietraq. I heard a story on the news tonight on my way home from work, about a guy from Indiana, William Beardsley, who had re-enlisted in the military in 2005 to qualify for health insurance for his ailing wife. William - B.J., to his friends, it seems - was killed in Iraq last week on the same day that his wife was released from the hospital. (Oddly, I heard it on RTV6 news on the radio tonight, but I can't find it right now on their web site; but Goggle managed to rustle up some hits about it here and here.)

I know it won't make any difference, but I'll put the sticker on my car anyway; and from time to time I will blog about things like this. Maybe it will help and maybe it won't. Maybe we should force Bush's daughters to serve a tour in Iraq. Hell, maybe we should make King George II serve a tour in Iraq - maybe he can find the weapons of mass destruction that he lied about so he could send American soldiers to die for no good reason.

We impeached Bill Clinton for lying about having sex in the White House with someone who was not his wife; but we re-elected George Bush for lying about the threat to the American people that was being posed by Saddam Hussein. Pass the Freedom Fries - all this patriotism is making me hungry.

Ah, so...here's the link to the MoveOn page where you can request a free stcker for yourself - or lots of stickers for a small donation. I almost signed up for the ten stickers for a five buck donation, until it occurred to me that I might have trouble rounding up ten liberals to give them to.

No comments: