Sunday, February 25, 2007

Is There Anybody Out There?

It occurred to me on the way home from work this evening that I never hear any really good Pink Floyd on the radio when I would like to hear some really good Pink Floyd on the radio. Also, when I do hear Pink Floyd on the radio, it is far too often something crappy, like non-A Momentary Lapse of Reason, post-Roger Waters songs - or "Us And Them." Rarely do I hear obscure gems such as "Goodbye Blue Sky," or anything from Animals or Meddle. Once in a great while, before WKLU was sold, changed formats, and began to suck, you would hear "Fearless," from Meddle, or maybe the occasional "See Emily Play."

I also do not have any Pink Floyd songs on any of the many CDs I keep in my car. This is likely to change. I have plenty of Rush, Pearl Jam, Eagles, and Bob Dylan in the car - but no Pink Floyd. It means I'll have to import a couple of Pink Floyd CDs into my laptop and come up with a decent Floyd playlist, but these are minor tasks. Of course, by the time I have done all of that, the yen for Pink Floyd likely will have abated.

No matter - it will be an amusing saga to undertake after the Oscars are over, while I am writing what will probably be a reasonably girthy post on the awards. Best Picture is really wide open this year, for the first time in a long time. All of the nominated films have won at least one pre-Oscar Best Picture equivalent. Most of the run-up buzz is on Little Miss Sunshine - it was the same run-up buzz (and homophobic voters) that gave Crash the undeserved edge over Brokeback Mountain last year. It's anyone's Oscar to win - if I were a betting man, I would put money on Babel; but it won't surprise me if it winds up being Little Miss Sunshine.

1 comment:

Last King of SCOOTland said...

On the turning away baby!!! You know, the only floyd songs I really know are the big ones. Probably becasue that is all Steve played while we drank and played Ass Hole. Oh yeah, and stole hub caps, and flower pots, etc.