Sunday, October 29, 2023

588. Scarlet Lane Brewing Company (McCordsville, IN) - Dorian Pumpkin

“Oatmeal Stout with Pumpkin. Warning: Pumpkins were harmed in the making of this beer.”

I know, I know…you’re thinking…well, shit dude, you have a Scarlet Lane right there in your fucking neighborhood now, and you haven’t posted a Scarlet Lane beer since before they opened where Black Acre used to be? (And it actually turns out that I have not, in fact, posted a Scarlet Lane joint since they opened in Irvington; I was guessing when I wrote that just now.) I’m torn on the new place…we like going there for lunch on Sunday after they get back from church, but I don’t like writing there as much as I liked writing there when it was Black Acre. (Also, they have yet to tap a single fucking keg of either Natural Liberty or Saucy Intruder.) Anyway…Jackson was up for it today, and when I saw that they had this one in cans, I added a four-pack to the tab and took some home. And…you know what… it’s a yummy oatmeal stout. I’m more into IPAs than anything else, but stouts have grown on me—especially oatmeal stouts. I don’t know if oats in the grain bill give the beer a smoother, creamier mouthfeel and flavor than standard barley, but that’s the way it tastes to me. This one, however, is just an oatmeal stout. There might be a faint whiff of the baking spices you might associate with a pumpkin ale; and I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt and try a second one in a room-temperature mug before I hit send here, but I ain’t holding my breath, yo. (Maybe the Red Apple I’m going to burn on the porch between the two will change things, but I doubt it.) Alas, the second one is no more interesting than the first.

No comments: