Wednesday, June 28, 2023

554. West Sixth Brewing (Louisville, KY) - IPA

“Our India Pale Ale has Citrus as the obvious star. Over the backbone of bready malt and pine stickiness you will find notes of peaches, lemon zest, dank grassiness, pine needles, and tangerines. Each sip is followed by a dangerously drinkable amount of resinous glamour.”

Um. So…my notes from the other night, when I tried one on tap at Pub by Novo in Bowling Green, say, “rolling bitter finish after a vaguely fruity taste up front. fruit is light and indeterminate.” This one, out of a can, in the friendly confines of my aboveground lair and poured into a mug from which so much paint has peeled in the last year and a half that it only barely resembles the Hog’s Head Inn souvenir I got at Universal Orlando, tastes pretty much exactly like the one I tried on tap a couple of days ago. If I actually tasted all of those things, and if it was, in fact, “dangerously drinkable,” then this would be an extremely excellent IPA. Alas…I do not taste those things, and at 7% ABV it is certainly not “drinkable,” whether “dangerously” so or otherwise. However…having said all that…I am coming to find that I can taste a hint of peach mixed in with that lingering bitter finish. It’s also maybe a touch smoother as it warms, but I don’t think that’s enough to reccomend it.

No comments: