Monday, May 30, 2022

Taproom: Wooden Cask Brewing Company (Newport, KY)

459. Wooden Cask Brewing Company (Newport, KY) - Batalla de Puebla “Tequila Barrel Aged Lime Gose.”
The one I tried at the York Street brewery yesterday tasted much more strongly of tequila. This one, out of a can and at home, is more balanced. The lime flavor is soft, but prominent, though not overpowering, in both iterations. The one I had yesterday at the brewery was very impressive with that strong barrel flavor. This one is slightly less so, but still pretty good. It’s surprisingly complex for a gose—and very pleasantly boozy at 7.7%.

The other two beers I tried in the taproom were somewhat forgettable IPAs. Seems like barrel aged might be the way to go here. I didn’t even have this brewery on my radar while I was looking up things to do for our three-day weekend in Cincinnati. We just happened to park ourselves near the outpost at Newport on the Levee while Amy used her phone to see about tickets to the aquarium. I looked up the brewery while she was doing that, and when it turned out that we couldn’t get into the aqauarium for three hours, we decided to walk back up into Newport proper and see about the York Street taproom.

460. Wooden Cask Brewing Company (Newport, KY) - RedRum “Rum barrel-aged Irish Red.”
This one was not on tap at the York Street brewery, but when I saw it in the carry-out cooler, I knew I had to try it. The rum flavor is very strong, and it works well with the roasty characteristics of the red ale it’s based on. The sharp bite of the rum and the high ABV (8.8%) were more evident in the one I drank last night in the ice cold hotel room; now that I’m back home in my poorly-ventilated aboveground lair and it has a chance to warm up about three seconds after I pour it, the flavors are much smoother. I’m not sure which I like better, but either way, the beer is excellent.

No comments: