Wednesday, July 14, 2021

403. Switchyard Brewing Company (Bloomington, IN) - Mango West Coast IPA

“This spin on our classic West Coast IPA combines juicy mango and citrus-forward Cascade hops for a fun, balanced, tropical twist on our go-to IPA!”

Amy and I were fortunate enough to be able to take another of what I call our “three-day-weekends” and spend a couple of nights in Bloomington earlier this week, and after traipsing around campus for a while on Sunday, we stopped for a drink at Switchyard, where I wanted to pick up some carry-out for myself and one of my buddies at the old juke joint who also went to IU. On balance, I wish we had just stopped for the carry-out; between the screaming soccer assholes and the QR-code-menu shit, my patience wore thin pretty quick. Their carry-out prices are hard to beat, though ($9.99-$11.99 for a four-pack of tallboys, depending on style)—even if everything else about the place is unwelcoming AF. This mango version is not quite as in-your-face as the original West Coast IPA, mostly because the mild mango flavor balances some of the pine and spice. I wasn’t sure about the first one I tried a couple of days ago, but this third one is more interesting. The mango is more pronounced when it’s cold, and then a honey-like richness begins to develop as it warms up. With the fourth one, the mango sticks around a little bit longer, and they honey isn’t as big. I kinda wish I had more of these, but I don’t see myself going back to Switchyard anytime soon.

No comments: