Wednesday, September 07, 2011

170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting

I get the feeling that I have to defend myself if I make the assertion that people should support public broadcasting; and I find it sad that I get that feeling. I find myself thinking that I should make my own arguments, rather than just linking to bullet points put together by someone else; but it seems like every time I start, I wind up going off on a rant, which is completely counterproductive. I'm going to take a deep breath and give it a shot, though: Public broadcasting is non-profit, it has no agenda, and it offers some of the best programming that radio and television have to offer; and because there is no advertising, you get to see and hear more of that great programming than you would see or hear if you were watching American Idol or listening to Smiley. If you’ve never listened to public radio or watched public television, you really should give it a shot. Public broadcasting needs public support. You can find more information at 170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting, and if you sign up for their e-mail list, you can download a free music sampler.

No comments: