Friday, July 29, 2011

A Gun at the Tie Dye Grill

The three of us ate lunch at the Tie Dye Grill on Tuesday afternoon before I went to work, and I came home all set to write this long, scathing rant against guns and Republicans because I observed the owner of the Tie Dye Grill carrying a visible firearm tucked into the waistband of his jeans…but I didn’t have time to finish writing it before I went to work, and then later I lost the fire in the belly I would have needed to see it through to the end. And what would be the point? Ordinary Hoosiers loves them some guns, and that apparently extends even to the people who operate an establishment that trades on the Sixties theme of peace and love. (And yes, I know that a restaurant’s theme is just part of its shtick, but the irony’s sort of rich, isn’t it?) I didn’t take the time to speak to the owner and ask why he felt compelled to carry his firearm openly while working in the kitchen of his restaurant, so I don’t know if he felt he needed to be packing heat in order to feel safe in his own restaurant. I hope that’s not the case, but it doesn’t really matter. I won’t be spending any more of my money there, and I sure as hell won’t be taking Jackson back there. I’m never going to win any Father of the Year awards, but the least I can do is limit Jackson’s exposure to Republicans and the right-wing gun nuts who pull their strings.

No comments: