Saturday, February 13, 2010

Random Musings, or I Miss Blogging, Too

So I’m driving home from work last night and flipping through what little remains of what was once a very good radio market in this city. One of the stations was playing “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns N’ Roses, and I went right on by. I love Guns N’ Roses - well, old school Guns N’ Roses, anyway - but I just don’t know if I ever need to hear that song again. And I sure as hell don’t ever need to hear the acoustic version by Sheryl Crow. I kept flipping and came to Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days,” and it occurred to me that I never hear that song on the radio and want to change the station. I’m mostly indifferent to Springsteen, although there are songs of his that I like. None more than this one, maybe. When I hear the song, I sometimes ask myself why I don’t own any of his records - and then I look over at the couple-hundred-odd CDs I do have, the vast majority of which I never listen to, and answer my own question.

And there may not be a great big point to that not-so-deep thought, but that’s okay; if you think everything needs to have a point, go back and read the author’s note at the beginning of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. As Michael Maier mused a few days back, I miss blogging. (And that’s sort of ironic, since he’s one of the few people in this little group who still posts regularly. Probably he meant that he misses the bloggings of others. “Bloggings” may not actually be a word.) I miss both the bloggings of others and blogging myself. (“Blogging myself” sounds odd when you say it out loud.)

I don’t know what to blog about anymore, though. I’m losing my passion for politics in a big hurry (reading Time and Newsweek every week is not helping with that), we hardly ever go out to eat anymore (2-year-olds and “sitting still at a restaurant in a booster seat” are incompatible concepts, plus I think Amy’s had it with me photographing entrées), football season is over, and I’m not enthused about the Oscars (fuck Avatar). I haven’t even managed to do a top ten list out of the books I read last year. I started going through the list, but I don’t know that I can come up with a total of ten that really knocked me down. Five, maybe.

And where the hell are the pictures of Jackson, right? That’s a valid criticism - it is - and it’s one for which I don’t have a good answer, either. But here’s a picture from today!



As an addendum to the bit about the music at the beginning, 107.9 today went from “Nothin’ But a Good Time” by Poison into “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers. Now that’s a transition.

No comments: