Sunday, November 22, 2009

National Novel Writing Month - Progress Report #2

Unfortunately, report #2 is no more encouraging than report #1. My average dropped from 723 words after the first ten days to 639 words after the second ten days. I would have to average 3723 words a day over the last ten days in order to hit 50,000 words. Needless to say, that’s not going to happen; and I did not get the final third of the month off to a good start by not doing any writing yesterday. Amy and I fell asleep watching the second season of The West Wing, and by the time I woke up at 1:00am, I just didn’t have the energy to sit down and write. (Instead, I lay down on the couch and watched the last three episodes of the first season of The Sopranos, which is due back at the library on Monday, and which I needed to watch so I could move on to the second season.)

At this point, 25,000 words is going to be a bit of a long shot, but it’s still attainable. The last time I checked in, I had a budding story about an American President who had given an interview to a documentary filmmaker of mixed Middle Eastern descent. Since that time, I have added a somewhat mysterious woman who trawls posh Washington hotel bars looking for guys to pick up. She meets the filmmaker, and they begin to have a conversation about religion. Meanwhile, the President is preparing his last State of the Union speech - with looming losses for his party in the upcoming national elections, both in terms of Congressional seats and potentially the White House, and the emergence of a “wingnut out in Alaska.”

I’m not sure how all the threads are going to connect yet - nor when I might get back to this project after the end of November. I still have that original novel I was working on, and there’s a deadline of December 18th for submitting work for the next issue of Ichabod’s Sketchbook, the Irvington literary journal that I have blogged about in the past. Making sure I get a submission in for that is going to be the next goal after this National Novel Writing Month experiment is over.

No comments: