Thursday, November 20, 2008

Suppose You're A New Guy - You Have Absolutely No Idea Where To Stick It

So listen...I’m curious about address labels. Do you get these things in the mail? Most of the time they come from organizations that hope hope hope to get a check from you. I just looked through all the ones I have, and I don’t remember where most of them came from - other than the ones that say Amnesty International. I know where those came from. I got some today from WFYI and from Greenpeace, though I let my WFYI membership lapse and have never donated to Greenpeace.

Do these things make you want to send a check to whichever organization sent them to you? Is this really the sweet in the deal that makes people send money? I’m just curious. I don’t really care either way. Yes, it’s nice not to have to write in a return address on every envelope when I’m paying the bills - but it’s not exactly as though life as I know it is going to grind to halt if I run out of address labels.

Or is it part of the larger conspiracy between non-profits and the postal service, to perpetuate the avalanche of direct mail that is, more or less, keeping the United States Postal Service from going broke? (I’m not really into conspiracy theories. That last part is almost entirely a joke. At least 75% joke.)

No comments: