Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Things I Had Not Experienced Until Today

The first was in my car, driving to work. I came to a stop at the red light at the top of the off-ramp from 465 West to Allisonville Road and saw, on the back of a black Civic, one of those little Jesus fish emblems. Now, my eyes are not the best in the world, so at first it just looked like a Jesus fish. Then I looked a little closer and realized that Jesus was not the word contained inside the body of the fish. Neither was it one of the other emblems like a Jesus fish that I have seen - the Darwin turle/fish, the Jesus fish eating the Darwin turtle/fish, the Darwin turtle/fish eating the Jesus fish. No, what this fish said within it was: N Chips. Something like that can go a long way toward mitigating the ire that festers while driving in traffic.

Second was a bit later, at work. Hillary baked cookies and brought them in, and said that I should try one because there was a surprise inside. This could have been anything, of course - razor blades, mercury, bits of a small rodent - but I was momentarily dulled by the peanut buttery smell rising out of the container holding the cookies to really consider that she might have been trying to off me; and so I just picked one up and tried it. Sure enough, a surprise - a slice of Snickers bar baked into a cookie. Baked into a really, really good peanut butter cookie.

So, yeah. There you go. Nothing earth-shattering. Nothing topical. Just fish, chips, and Snickers. And this on the day the report of the Iraq Study Group came out, listing 79 separate recommendations for the Bush administration to ignore. And all you get from me is bumper stickers and cookies.

No comments: