Thursday, February 15, 2007

Perils Of Free Speech...Run TMC Style

This one just has to wind up on Keith Olbermann’s MSNBC show Countdown. According to a story from the AP, which can be found on this link to MSNBC, former NBA star Tim Hardaway said on a Miami radio program that he hates gay people - among other things he said on the subject. This in response to the revelation last week by former NBA star John Amaechi that he is gay.

Surely this makes Mr. Hardaway today’s worst person in the world. Doesn’t it? Well, he did apologize, I suppose, so maybe he’s not. Yeah, except this is his apology: “Yes, I regret it. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said I hate gay people or anything like that,” he said. “That was my mistake.”

Gosh, I wonder how he really feels about it. Here are some of his other remarks: “First of all, I wouldn’t want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don’t think that is right. I don’t think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room.”

Well, if he’s not tonight’s worst person in the world, I don’t know who is. I’m trying to think of some runners-up. Those NASCAR cowboys for putting jet fuel in their cars? Nah. How is that bad? Cheating in NASCAR? Embarrassment in NASCAR? The next thing you’ll tell me is that pro wrestling isn’t real.

Oh well...I’m sure Olbermann will think of two others. Technically, it happened yesterday, but according to the web site for Countdown, Hardaway was not one of the three worst people in the world yesterday. Maybe Keith was saving it to let it ripen. Countdown is on at 8:00 tonight, according to the web site.

No comments: