Friday, March 20, 2009

Jonathan Demme And Jenny Lumet On Rachel Getting Married

I was listening to NPR's Fresh Air on the way to work today and caught part of an interview with director Jonathan Demme and screenwriter Jenny Lumet, who worked together on last year's remarkable Rachel Getting Married. The interview originally aired back in October, but this was the first time I heard it. I didn't catch the whole thing, but you can listen to it on Fresh Air's website here. Two of the things they touched on were the use of handheld cameras (which caused a lot of problems when we played the film) and the dishwasher loading competition, which apparently had its roots in Lumet's childhood, when her dad and director Bob Fosse got into an argument after dinner at Lumet's house one night and then spent an hour and a half loading and unloading the dishwasher.

I'm posting this at work and don't want to spend too much time on it, so I'll come back to it later and add links - because I just know that you're dying for more things to click in my posts.

No comments: