Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Notes On The Primary Election

This from an MSNBC article updated at 8:25pm:

"In Indiana, nearly three-quarters of those who said it was important voted for Clinton."

The "it" in question? The controversy surrounding Jeremiah Wright. (There are one or two people out there who understand that Wright is mugging for the camera, right? And there are one or two people out there who understand that the pastor isn't the only reason that people go to a particular church, right? If there are some people like that out there in the world, will you please move to Indiana in time to cast an informed ballot in November?)

Is that racist and stupid, or just stupid? Thanks to the Byzantine method of nomination concocted by the Dems, losing Indiana won't break Obama and it won't make Clinton. She'll get a few more delegates than he will, and in a week or two people will forget how Hillbillyana voted - but it sure would have been nice for the next day or two to know that Indiana had been smart enough to see beyond an issue that doesn't matter - Wright - and an issue about which Clinton is completely, utterly incorrect - the gas tax suspension.

Hillary Clinton is correctly praised for her mastery of issues - and yet she's in favor of suspending the gas tax. Is it even conceivable that she does not know she's incorrect on this? Nope. Not remotely. She's pandering to hicks - and the sad thing is that it's working.

Clinton is up 12 points with 38% of precincts reporting - but that was a few minutes ago. In the time it's taken me to write this, another 15% of the precincts have come in and Hillary's lead has gone from 12 points to 8 points.
UPDATE: MSNBC's front page is updating faster than the RTV6 page, showing Clinton up only 6 points (53-47) with 68% of precincts reporting.
UPDATE: 74% of precincts in and Hillary's lead is down to 4 points (52-48).

And - sadly - the Carson machine rolls on. I wonder if Andre will look any less goofy after the lobbyists finish attaching all the strings and start making him do his puppet dance.

0% reporting on the Indiana House race in Distric 89 - where I'm hoping that John Barnes wipes the floor with Tyler Gough, one of whose supporters deigned to send me - entirely independent of the Tyler Gough campaign or any of its agents, volunteers, and staff (unless the sender is actually in that group, which I do not know because the sender did not identify him- or herself) - one unsolicited e-mail. Hopefully this race will keep the night from being a complete downer for me.
UPDATE 11:25pm: 100% reporting in District 89, and John Barnes obliterated Tyler Gough, 78-22. Good result, though not a surprise.

UPDATE 11:15pm: Nice county results map on CNN here - shows counties for Obama in dark blue and counties for Clinton in light blue. Dark blue is Allen, Boone, Elkhart, Hamilton, Marion, Monroe, Tippecanoe, and St. Joseph - including the state's two biggest cities and a large concentration of the biggest universities. There's a lot of empty, light blue space in Indiana. Lake County is not in there yet because they have not reported - but will, of course, go big for Obama, which will then mean four of the five biggest cities in Indiana. Is there anything for the state of Indiana to be proud of, other than the job Tom Crean is doing cleaning up the basketball program down in Bloomington?

UPDATE 12:30am: I heard on NPR coming home from work, from a reporter with Chicago NPR, that early returns from Lake County showed a 16,000 vote margin in favor of Obama - putting the overall margin at a scant 2 points, 51-49. So how's this going to look in the morning? CNN and NBC are both calling it for Hillary. Fox News, oddly, is calling it for Giuliani. His name wasn't even on my ballot. Someone will figure out a way to blame Beth White for that, I'm sure. (Those last three sentences were jokes.)

3 comments:

Not Matthew said...

Shame on you John, for insinuating that I enjoy any supporters sending unsolicited e-mails. I wish I would have gotten one. As a matter of fact I only recieved one e-mail from a person wishing me luck. Please e-mail me, thgough@gmail.com, with a copy of the e-mail. Is an e-mail any different the Barnes or Swatts or Clinton or etc. door hangers that I recieved on an almost daily basis this last week? I certainly asked for none. As a Ralph Nader supporter for nearly two decades (Central Indiana Campaign Coordinater in 2004) I am puzzled by your feelings towards my campaign. Have you researched my position statements? Isn't this what democracy is all about? Ask John Barnes how he feels about myself and my campaign. He may give you some insight. Trying to turn two progresive campaigns into some kind of war isn't good for anyone, except the right. - Thanks - Tyler Gough

Prime Mover said...

I'm trying to figure out why Wright isn't a big deal. I seem to remember another man associated with a hateful,racist organization and he was banished for good (David Duke) as soon as that came to light. It's a big deal for me because this isn't some aquantince (I can't spell worth shit) this is someone's mentor, Wright married the Obama's and baptized their children, he also used a title of one of his speeches for his book. This man is not only mugging for the camera (I agree), but he's a vile, hate filled individual. Also, Obama was arm in arm with Farrakhan during the million man march. That's some pretty controversial associations going on there. What if McCain was associated with the KKK for the last 20 years. You better believe that would kill his nomination. I thought the man was supposed to bring us together so far his associations and comments (guns and religion) is keeping everyone apart. If it's not a big deal to you that's cool, I respect your opinion, but it is to me.

As for Hillary, I really do believe she's evil. Suspending the gas tax is a really stupid idea only because it won't last long, the oil price rise will. You know a good solution to that? Start drilling here, but we can't because Dems and enviros won't let that happen. It's the only way because alternative energies will take years to develop and implement

John Peddie said...

We only have about 2% of the world's oil reserves. Reducing - but not eliminating - our dependence on fossil fuels is the best feasible short-term solution, with the application of the idea being a gradual shift to more ethanol and hybrid cars. Neither will be a complete solution, but both should be part of the solution.

The best non-feasible solution is to take oil off of the commodities market so speculators are taken out of the equation - but I'm not going to hold my breath there.

And as for Wright, I'm sure your opinion is informed and carefully considered, and that's just fine. I don't expect that most people are thinking it through that carefully, though - if at all. They see it on the news and believe what they are told to believe and vote accordingly - and that is unfortunate.