Friday, August 31, 2007

Today I Learned Something About Iowa

A few weeks ago, I came across a blog called Advance Indiana, by way of checking out a couple of blogs that I heard about that time I was at Lazy Daze when I was asked about my own blog. It's run by a Republican, but manages to strike more of a populist tone than a conservative one. When I popped by there just now, I found that the most recent post was this one about an Iowa court that ruled in favor of gay marriage.

Yeah, give that one a second to sink in. A blog run by a Republican touts a decision by an Iowa court that strikes down a measure in that state's constitution that barred homosexual couples from receiving marriage licenses. I never would have guessed - either one, actually.

But here's what I learned about Iowa, after referring back to CNN's 2004 Presidential election results (yes, I am that much of a dork) and clicking on the state of Iowa: they voted for Bush 50% to 49%, which, quite frankly, surprised the hell out of me. I had no idea they even had Democrats in Iowa. (That's a joke. Mostly.)

Big, big props to Iowa, for overturning an illegal law - and big, big props to Advance Indiana for posting it. Those dominoes are falling, friends and neighbors - and it's about time.

No comments: