Monday, March 05, 2007

The Pink Floyd Playlist

Last week I mentioned that I did not have a CD of Pink Floyd songs to play in my car and said that I was going to work on a playlist after the Oscars. I ended up writing about the Oscars instead, along with my regular writing on the phantom novel I keep threatening to foist upon the world. I finally got around to compiling the playlist last week, so here it is:

1. Welcome To The Machine
2. See Emily Play
3. San Tropez
4. Any Colour You Like
5. Fearless
6. Goodbye Blue Sky
7. Time
8. Learning To Fly
9. On The Turning Away
10. Mother
11. Comfortably Numb
12. Wish You Were Here
13. Hey You

All but three - See Emily Play, Learning To Fly, and On The Turning Away - are culled from what I consider to be four of the five best Pink Floyd albums, which are:

1. Meddle
2. The Wall
3. Animals
4. Dark Side Of The Moon
5. Wish You Were Here

Animals is the only one of the five not represented in the playlist, because the songs on Animals which I would have included are both exceptionally long - Dogs and Pigs (Three Different Ones) - and I chose not to include any exceptionally long songs on the CD because they would have taken up too much space and forced me to leave too many excellent songs off. The exceptionally long songs that I would have included are:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (complete)
2. Dogs
3. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
4. Echoes

The combined length of those four songs is over 78 minutes. Echoes alone clocks in at over 23 minutes. The combined time of the 13 songs that did make the list is just over 66 minutes. They're all great songs, but a Pink Floyd CD with only four tunes would not have been as chock full of variety as I would have liked.

Next: A long post on college basketball, specifically about the Indiana Hoosiers, their chances in the NCAAs (as well as in the Big Ten tournament), and the on-court heroics of senior Rod Wilmont in the last two games of the regular season. I started to write that post last night, but it got awfully long and needs to be reorganized. It might also include my thoughts on Indiana's run to the 2002 National Championship game, which many people used (incorrectly) to make the case that former Indiana head coach Mike Davis was a good head coach. He wasn't then, and isn't now - but has the potential to be, I think.

1 comment:

Last King of SCOOTland said...

Oooooh. I can't wait for your next post. Also, I love your playlist.

I will definitly reply to the IU post. Most likely, as seems to happen with us, it will end up being its own blog on mine. We'll see.

Scoot Out!