Sunday, April 21, 2019

82. Collective Arts (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) - IPA No. 9

“Our newest in our IPA seris is a Double Dry-Hoppped Brut IPA. Crisp, bubbly and utterly bursting full of fresh Azacca and Citra hops. The aroma and flavour of bright citrus and mango come from the large 16g/hL dry hopping.”

I’m not sure what to make of the Brut style. They’re very crisp, and very dry, and I think that the push toward de-sugaring (there’s probably a real word for that, but I don’t know it) and champagne mouthfeel sometimes comes at the expense of flavor. Here, however, the Citra hops practically stand up and shout at you. I’m not familiar with Azacca yet, but the profile sounds interesting (and very similar to Citra, which I love). This is another one I got from the gettin’ place, so I couldn’t have a second if I wanted one—but the 7.1% alcohol might have put the kibosh on that idea anyway. Does that tell you what I thought of it? I haven’t the foggiest. But since I’m not sure what I thought of it either, why don’t we call it a draw?

No comments: