Friday, April 29, 2011

Clark, I Think This is the Wrong Exit

This is a shot of the St. Louis Arch and the Mississippi River, badly swollen from the recent rains. We're on the road from Indianapolis to Kansas City for my brother's wedding. We started Wednesday afternoon and stopped in Effingham, Illinois, for the night; and then we were on the road again Thursday morning.



Jackson did pretty well on the trip, considering that he had to endure being strapped into a car seat for eight hours. (Splitting it up into two segments was probably a good idea. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do that on the way home on Sunday.) Despite being good, though, he didn't care much for having his picture taken.



We got into Kansas City with just a little bit of time to kill, and then it was off to the rehearsal. I didn't get any pictures of it, but I think it might have been the first Catholic church I'd ever been inside in my life. Apparently they worship "in the round," because there was a big marble dais in the middle of the charmingly retro sanctuary. It looked sort of like an Elizabethan thrust stage, but I didn't voice that opinion out loud to see if anyone agreed. We were probably pushing our luck with one of the other groomsmen talking about how the building wasn't up to code becuase there were no sprinklers. Jackson eventually warmed up to the girl who will be chucking flowers while he walks down the aisle with a ceremonial pillow in his hands, and I managed to get one almost-respectable shot of them cavorting down the aisle togeher.

No comments: