Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Keeping Abreast Of Current Events

Here’s another one from the Dave Barry “I swear I’m not making this up” file. I was going over the news this morning on MSNBC, before heading out for the Colts rally on Monument Circle, and I came across this article concerning the debate over moms who breast-feed in public.

Now, I’ve never really thought about it (although I suppose that the topic will come up sometime in the near future), but I suspect it’s the sort of thing that can be done discreetly and which does not have any serious effect on the people who happen to witness it. I haven’t yet read the article, though, because I was just getting ready to head out the door - it was the headline on the web page that caught my eye, and this is the part that I swear I am not making up. At least as of this morning when I saw it, the link on the MSNBC front page, that lead to the story about breast-feeding in public, was in this way phrased:

“Public breast-feeding exposes divide.”

(I really did not make that up - but you know there’s some guy in IT at MSNBC who is looking at that headline and feeling proud of himself, for being topical and funny at the same time.)

I can almost hear Bill Engvall responding to this:

“Well...I guess that’d depend on the mother, right?”

Right. If it were a gymnast or a figure skater breast-feeing in public, maybe the public would not be so clearly divided. If it were Scarlett Johansson, on the other hand, well...then probably the public would be much more deeply divided.

Just one last thing about this topic, which I imagine a lot of women are talking about - you know where all the men are on this subject, right?

Uh-huh...somewhere in the middle.

(It was the Atlas Shrugged one. I don't know anything about Jim Morrison's pants.)

1 comment:

Hillary said...

man, the dude who tells the story of buying jim morrison's pants is so annoying. he's even written fictional books, inspired by a certain band, implying that a certain lead singer is alive in jamaica. we all know his career is over now that no one wants to screw jim morrison, i wish he'd get off it already.