Friday, November 24, 2006

Rediscovering Keith Olbermann

In a previous post, I mentioned my take on those comments John Kerry made about how failing to take advantage of education could get you stuck in Iraq - and in that post I noted my opinion that Kerry had meant one thing while the Republicans had spun something else entirely.

And the whole thing died down, as these blips on the radar so often do. Then why, you ask, am I bringing it up again? The answer is because of an article I found on the MSNBC page for their nightly news show called Countown, hosted by Keith Olbermann. In another previous post, I mentioned that I had started reading Olbermann's new book, based on his "Worst Person In The World" bit that he does every night at the end of Countdown.

Since then, I have from time to time scooted over to the Countown page to check out the day's Worst Person In The World, and that was what I was doing toninght when an article, off to the side, caught my eye.

Olbermann: Bush owes troops apology, not Kerry

Man...I thought I had venom in my heart for President Bush, but Olbermann, much more of a public figure than little old me, positively seethes with loathing for our dear leader. His article explains yet another way to interpret what Kerry said, and while I still believe in the validity of the point I made, I think Olbermann might be even more on target - especially when you factor in the words Kerry's camp said he was supposed to have spoken. I'm just a loud-mouthed blogger - Olbermann is an actual journalist, and clearly did a better job of getting to the bottom of Kerry's remarks than I did.

Yeah, I know, I'm behind the times. I should have seen this article weeks ago when it was posted, but I just recently began dialing up MSNBC from time to time. Would that I had discovered this oasis of free thinking sooner. I revisit the topic here not to dredge up the Kerry story, but rather to call attention to Olbermann and his article. He was always my favorite SportsCenter host, in large part because he was always both extremely funny and extremely adept in his use of language. My respect for him has only grown since I read the book and started reading his articles on the Countdown web site. His views are very liberal, and he is an incredibly talented writer. And, with the advent of the "Worst Person In The World Bit," he has returned somewhat to the kind of tongue-in-cheek humor he so often displayed on SportsCenter.

No comments: